Sunday, January 23, 2005

Snowy Sunday

"I could've finished 'em off faster, but I paced myself, 'cause I wanted ta keep punchin' 'em." -- Jack Johnson, boxin' champ talkin' about de rivals he knocked out. Isn't that an unusual quote from De Piggy on a Sunday? Normally, I'd write along de lines ov, "God works all things to the good of them that love Him." That's still true, but maybe because it's snowin' so much today, an' instead ov goin' to church, ah stayed in an' spent a rough couple ov hours on de 'phone wif mi uncle who lives in London, mi outlook is skewed today. Mi uncle works hard. He used to run mi Grampy's furniture-lumber bizniz by himself before Grampy died an' family in-fightin' started. Customers loved him, an' used to ask for him by name. When de struggle over Grampy's estate wore on, Uncle moved back to England to seek his own fortune--an' after a few years, his brothers ran Grampy's bizniz into de ground. They weren't half as smart as mi favourite uncle. Yes, he's mi favourite. (I've mentioned him in previous posts.) This Blog's always been written in honour ov his crazy cockney accent. Ah love Smartie-pants dearly, but now he doesn't feel so smart. After leavin' de rift wif his siblings, he slaved in subzero temperatures and had his fiancee administerin' all his finances at home. He went all out for de past three years, not even buyin' a plane ticket to JA as he'd normally do. He worked without a vacation, an' to de best ov his knowledge, he an' his fiancee bought a house, a new car, and commercial property together. At 43, he's quite ready to marry her an' start a family this year. Then after labourin' in de cold, he finally returned to JA last year, an' was shocked to find that she was big big pregnant--for some other guy--and even more shocked to find that he doesn't own most ov what he thought he owned. That woman, her new boyfriend, an' her relatives own all that his money bought. Mi uncle's heartbroken. Now, he realizes de value ov blood-family, an' he wishes he'd had his sisters manage his finances in his absence or keep his foreign-currency account in his name only. He trusted his ex too much. His ex was never much for his family. She believes we're too deep into one another's bizniz. Evidently, she's wrong about that, since she had more access to his finances, an' more knowledge ov his budget than even his Mum did. He's crushed. His sisters are pushin' him to demand that his ex an' her relatives vacate de house that he worked so hard to buy. His ex is afraid ov mi Auntie an' told him, "I'll eventually pay yu back, but keep that coolie woman away from mi!" WHAT?? Now Auntie's more than willin' to tear that schemer to bits, but mi uncle said everyone should just forget about this, an' leave conniver to God. I wondered, Leave her to God? Searchin' mi mind for a biblical quote that would satisfy de inadequacy ov his statement, de only quote that came to mind was Jack Johnson's quote that started this post. Ah don't know how long Uncle can tame his most fiery sister--I'd hate for them to contribute to de violence in JA, but there's a lot ov animosity goin' on concernin' what his ex did. Still, in all their anger, no one realizes how hurt Uncle is in all ov this. I've tried to lift his spirits over de 'phone, but what does a guy in his position really need to hear at a time like this?

7 comments:

Abeni said...

Ouch.The least she coulda done was let him know she moving on.He oughta be able to reclaim his house-I just hope it not in her name.

Melody said...

He told her from de start that she should let him know if de long-distance romance ever stopped workin', but she pretended all along that she still loved him.

Jdid said...

Melody I feel sad for your brother. I've heard this story quite a bit. Sadly sometimes you just cant trust the people you think you can.

Melody said...

He & I are close, Jdid, 'cause he's my youngest uncle--so he feels like a big brother. Sad that you've heard this kinda stuff often--women complain de minute a man uses or tricks them, but men seem to keep their pain to themselves.

Anonymous said...

Thats horrible! Glad it wasn't me something like that happened to, cuz I would get violent. I could live with the fact that she left me and that she was pregnant, but my hard-earned money is serious bidness! >:-(
Mad Bull

Scratchie said...

Sad story fi real. It happens all over the place. It's one thing to say that God says that Vengeance is His but it ruff, especially when yuh slave and sacrifice for something only to find out that it never mean anything to the one person who it should be so important to. Put it to prayer Mel and just keep talking to him.

Anonymous said...

Kiss kiss piggy, and best wishes for 2005.... been going through some of my own stuff, kinda on the quiet.
Went through a similar experience - but without the money problems in 2004 - though that was nearly a part of it! Lost the money in 2000, so I guess I did that part too.
At the end of the day, I kinda agree with the leave them to God - at the end, it is much less stressful to walk away, if you can afford to. And tell your uncle - "he will repeat life's lessons until they are learned!!" Hopefully, unlike me, he will only have to learn them once!
Re the being single resume thing - the problem is that people change....up to this minute they could be good and turn bad or vice versa. I have decided that it is human nature for people to lie....and I therefore put the required shovelful of salt ... something I am struggling with now, since it is my nature to be trusting and loving....but these days, that is a recipie for trouble!
Princess P de la Bimshire